Archive For The “Project” Category
Here are the scheduled classes for February 2020.
Paint class with Melissa Totten. These classes are held the first and third Tuesday of each month and the painting subject will be announced at the beginning of class. Cost: $30.00
New beginner paint classes with Sherry Wilfong. Every Tuesday evening from 5:00 pm to 8:00 pm. Cost: $30.00. She will be starting out with landscapes and will transition to other subjects as skill levels are developed. MUST HAVE FOUR INDIVIDUALS TO SIGN UP IN ORDER TO HOLD THESE CLASSES!
8 February (Saturday) 2020. Simplicity Quilt (beginner friendly); Time: 10:00 am to 4:00 pm; Instructor: Lisa Gandy; Cost: $15.00; Supplies: Basic sewing supplies, one layer cake, one yard of fabric for border and 20″ WOF for binding. MUST HAVE FOUR INDIVIDUALS TO SIGN UP IN ORDER TO HOLD THIS CLASS!
12 February (Wednesday) 2020. “Who love YOU” Owl Pillows (beginner friendly and FUN); Time: 1:30 pm until finished; Instructor: Debbie Walker; Cost: $20.00; Supplies: 1/2 yard of fabric for the body and 1/2 yard of fabric for the owl head. Everything else will be supplied. Come and make a cute Valentine gift for someone you love! MUST HAVE FOUR INDIVIDUALS TO SIGN UP IN ORDER TO HOLD THIS CLASS!
Just a friendly reminder: If you are interested in taking any class, you must call and sign-up prior to the scheduled class.
These are the scheduled classes (so far) for the month of November 2019. PLEASE NOTE: If additional classes are added or supply lists are modified or added, additional updates may be needed!
This the updated classroom schedule for the month of October 2019.
- 7 October Coil Rope Fabric Basket (Pat Paxton) – 1:00 to 4:00; Cost: $10.00; Supply List: Cotton clothes line, 1-1/4th yard of small print fabric; fabric glue; thread to match your fabric; zigzag foot for your sewing machine; basic sewing supplies (check this site for your basic sewing supplies list)
- 8 October Painting – 5:00 – ? (Sherry Wilfong); Cost: $25.00
- 9 October Sit and Sew – 10:00 to 3:00
- 11 October Stained Glass Leave Table Runner (Deb Ann) – 1:00 to 4:00; Supply list: 1/4 th yard border fabric; four fat quarters for leaves or scrapes (with the largest piece being 8″ x 14″); one and 2/3 yard fabric for background; thread to match leaves; fusible web will be supplied; basic sewing supplies; Please note: You can buy your border fabric later – you will not get to it in class.
- 14 October Fabric Bucket (great gift idea and easy); Cost: $10.00; Supply list: Two fat quarters (one for inside and one for outside); thread to match your fabric; basic sewing supplies.
- 15 October Painting class – 1:30-4:30 (Melissa Totten); Cost: $30.00 for class and supplies; Come paint something new each time. She will supply paint, canvas and brushes needed for each class.
- 22 October Halloween Wall Hanging (Joann Cordell); 10:00 am to 4:00 pm; Cost – $10.00′ Supply list is currently pending; Lunch will be provided and is FREE!
- 22 October Painting – 5:00 pm (Sherry Wilfong); Cost: $25.00; This is a NEW beginner painting class.
- 25 October Painting Party (Melissa Totten); 5:00 to 8:00 pm; Cost – $30.00; Come try your hand at painting. Great fun. Something new each class. Open to everyone.
- 29 October Stitch and Fold Table Topper/Wreath (Brenda Mann); Cost: $20.00; Supply list: Back of the topper/wreath – 5/8 yard of fabricFront of the topper/wreath – 5/8 yard of fabric; Center applique – 1/2 yd fabric; thread to match; temporary marking pen; 2/3 yard pellon firm stabilizer (available at the shop); 2/3 yards wonder under; basic sewing supplies.
Coil Rope Fabric Basket (Pat Paxton)
Stained Glass Leave Table Runner (Deb Ann)
Halloween Wall Hanging (Joann Cordell)
Stitch and Fold Table Topper/Wreath (Brenda Mann)
Should you have any additional questions, please call Debbie Walker at 304 653-4150.
The Creative Learning Center (aka the Hillsboro classroom) is now open! This has been a long held dream that has finally come to pass! The current class schedule for the first two weeks of October is as follows:
- 1 October Painting – 1:30 to 4:30
- 2 October Community Service Project (gowns and bags) – 10:00 – ?
- 7 October Coil Rope Fabric Basket (Pat Paxton) – 1:00 to 4:00; Cost: $10.00
- 8 October Painting – 5:00
- 9 October Sit and Sew – 10:00 to 3:00
- 11 October Stained Glass Leave Table Runner (Deb Ann) – 1:00 to 4:00
Every Wednesday will be a “sit-n-sew” day for anyone who wants to come in and work on a UFO (unfinished project) or any type project. We are hoping that ladies/gentlemen will use this time to gather for fellowship and sewing away from their normal sewing setting. Classes will be posted two weeks in advance (be sure to check in the newspaper also). As things progress we will make every effort to post a schedule one month in advance.
Please note: If you are interested in giving a class on any creative subject, please us and call and we will work out a date and time for you. There is a small fee for the room which will be assessed at time of scheduling. Classes can be half day, single, multiple days/or spread out over the course of a couple of weeks. The only stipulation in booking the classroom is that the classes must be open to the general public, as this is a community learning facility.
Here are some potential ideas for upcoming classes:
- Beginner sewing classes: From getting to know your machine to how to make a simple quilt block
- Basic quilting musts and vocabulary
- A variety of advanced quilting classes
- How to foundation paper piece
- Free motion quilting
- Block of the month classes
- How to square up blocks and finish a quilt
- Creative quilt borders
- Creative quilt backing (or how to make the back of your quilt “almost” as interesting as the front)
- Specialty seams such as Y-seams, curves, and sewing with small pieces
- Basket making (cloth and reed)
- Jewelry making
- Candle making
- Community service/charity projects (if you have an idea on a community service project, please let us know)
- Coloring/painting on fabric
- Repurposing items from clothes (aprons, jackets, sweat shirts, etc.)
- Crafts of all kinds (wreath making, pillows, flower arrangements, etc.)
- Quick gift ideas
- Card making
This classroom or creative learning center, is an asset to our community and provides us with an amazing opportunity to experience and learn new things or advance your current skill level. We sincerely hope everyone will take advantage of this space. We look forward to working with and meeting all of the creative folks from here and the surrounding areas.
To book the classroom, to register for classes or for more information, please call Deb Ann’s Fabrics at 304 654-4150
Brochure is out and registration has begun for the 2019 Eight Rivers Quilting Party to be held at the McClintic Libary in Marlinton, West Virginia. Dates for this year’s party are 1 – 3 August 2019, from 9:00 am to 3:30 pm. Charlene Beverage’s class will be a “Covered Bridge Wallhanging”. Betty Jo Williams’ class will be a “Log Cabin Star Table Mat” and Michelle Hill’s class will be “Farm Rose Star Quilt” by Marci Baker. You can download the brochere to read more about the quilting party and classes and to register for classes. We hope to see you there!
Pocahontas County will be celebrating it’s bicentennial in 2021. In preparation for this historic event, quilters of Pocahontas County are in the process of putting together two quilts to mark this major milestone. When completed, one quilt will be placed on display at the Pocahontas County courthouse, commemorating our 200th year birthday. The other quilt will be raffled in order to secure funds for the actual bicentennial event. Blocks are now available for pick up at Deb Ann’s Fabrics in Hillsboro and the Wellness Center in Marlinton. If you had not previously expressed an interest in completing a block but are interested, please contact Lauren Bennett at 304 799-7386. Blocks must be completed and turned in by 15 May 2019.
Starting this Thursday, 11 April 2019, the Watoga Quilting Weekend begins. We will be offering two days of quilting classes (Thursday and Friday), followed by an old fashioned quilting bee on Saturday. PLEASE NOTE: The quilting bee is opened to anyone who is interested in participating or just wants to observe the process. There is no charge for attending the quilting bee. Those participating in the quilting bee itself are asked to bring a covered dish.
For additional information, please check out Watoga State Park’s or Deb Ann’s Fabrics website. Call 304-653-4150 with questions. Hope to see you there!
Guess who is coming back? That’s right! Calhoun County’s very own Debbie Walker, from Deb Ann’s Fabrics, in Hillsboro, West Virginia, will be back in Grantsville on 3 November 2018. This time the quilt project will be a “Carpenter’s Star”. Class will be held at the Grantsville Senior Center (125 Durst Court, Grantsville, WV) on Saturday, 3 November 2018 from 10:00 am to ???. Join us to learn how to create a “Carpenter’s Star” quilt. Bring a lunch. Light snacks and drinks will be provided. Your supply list is as follows: sewing machine (in good working order), neutral colored thread, at least three wound bobbins, scissors, pins, a travel ironing space and cutting mat (PLEASE NOTE: there will be cutting and ironing stations set up if you don’t have your own), one 6 1/2″ – 8 1/2″ ruler or longer and a rotary cutter. Kits will be provided with two colors of your choice. Cost of the class is $50.00 and this includes the cost of the kit. If interested, please call 304 653-4150 to sign up and to provide your two color choices for your kit. See you soon!
Here is your supply list for the September Mystery Project of the Month. You will need:
- Sewing machine
- Cutting mat
- Rotary cutter
- Assorted sewing notions
- 12 assorted Halloween print fabrics (you will need at least 1 fat eighth of each fabric)
- 1 yard of a coordinating solid
We can’t wait to see everyone on 21 September 2018, from 10:00 am to 2 pm at the Hillsboro Library! See you soon!
The new block of the month for 2019 has been put together and is ready for you to take a look. The BOM will start in January 2019 and run for nine months. The project consists of 15 12 1/2″ blocks (three a month) and three 17 1/2″ blocks with hour glass blocks (one set per month). Month nine will consist of the finishing kit with stripping. The quilt will measure 86 x 88 with borders (which are not included in the BOM). When you receive each month’s blocks, they will have been completely cut out and be ready to sew together. No struggles with fabric selection or cutting! What could be easier? The cost is $40.00 per month and the cut-off date to sign up is 1 December 2018. You can make a one time purchase of the entire quilt for $340.00, which is a $20.00 saving. Blocks can be mailed with additional postage rates applied. We hope to have our sample quilt quilted and on display during the “Fall Into Quilting Retreat”, scheduled for October 18-20, 2018, in order to provide you with an up close and personal look! For any additional questions, please feel free to call the shop at 304 653-4150.
For those of you participating in our monthly mystery project, here is your supply list:
- Sewing Machine
- Rotary cutter
- Light neutral thread
- 5 fat quarters of 30’s reproductions fabrics
- 1 yard of white OR tone on tone white fabric
- Cutting mat
- YOUR SENSE OF ADVENTURE!
We will be meeting at the Hillsboro Library from 10:00 am to 2 pm. See you there!
The mystery project of the month for May will be held on 26 May 2018, from 10 am to 2 pm, at the Hillsboro Library. Just in case you missed the previous post on this, here is the supply list:
You will need:
Your sewing machine and notions
Coordinated fabrics in the following amounts:
1 fat eighth
1 charm square (5 ½ x 5 ½)
1 charm square ( 5 ½ x 5 ½) (this will be your center)
1 piece of scrap fabric large enough to make two 1 1/2″ x 2″ rectangles
One 9″ zipper
1/3 yard of fusible interfacing
We hope you will join us this Saturday. See you then!!!
Painting on fabric! No one had any idea what this month’s mystery project was going to be. With “one half yard of white, washed and ironed (no starch) fabric” being the only item on the supply list, everyone seemed quite perplexed in trying to figure out what we would be doing today! Well, it didn’t take long for Debbie to bring everyone up to speed, sharing a variety of completed projects she had previously done with fabric paint.
She brought to class, a wide selection of coloring books, as well as iron on transfers, in order to allow everyone to find a picture they would be tracing onto the fabric.
After pictures were selected, class participants traced their pictures onto the fabric with pencil, then ironed their fabric onto freezer paper in order to stabilize the fabric.
It was at this point, the class participants began filling in their artwork with color.
At times, the room was completely hushed as class participants focused on their work at hand. It was such a different experience for everyone! Some found it challenging, some found it relaxing and peaceful but everyone thoroughly enjoyed their time spent together on a beautiful and sunny Saturday, learning another way to add depth and dimension to their quilting and/or crafting portfolio! Until next time!