Archive For The “Lessons” Category
The Creative Learning Center (aka the Hillsboro classroom) is now open! This has been a long held dream that has finally come to pass! The current class schedule for the first two weeks of October is as follows:
- 1 October Painting – 1:30 to 4:30
- 2 October Community Service Project (gowns and bags) – 10:00 – ?
- 7 October Coil Rope Fabric Basket (Pat Paxton) – 1:00 to 4:00; Cost: $10.00
- 8 October Painting – 5:00
- 9 October Sit and Sew – 10:00 to 3:00
- 11 October Stained Glass Leave Table Runner (Deb Ann) – 1:00 to 4:00
Every Wednesday will be a “sit-n-sew” day for anyone who wants to come in and work on a UFO (unfinished project) or any type project. We are hoping that ladies/gentlemen will use this time to gather for fellowship and sewing away from their normal sewing setting. Classes will be posted two weeks in advance (be sure to check in the newspaper also). As things progress we will make every effort to post a schedule one month in advance.
Please note: If you are interested in giving a class on any creative subject, please us and call and we will work out a date and time for you. There is a small fee for the room which will be assessed at time of scheduling. Classes can be half day, single, multiple days/or spread out over the course of a couple of weeks. The only stipulation in booking the classroom is that the classes must be open to the general public, as this is a community learning facility.
Here are some potential ideas for upcoming classes:
- Beginner sewing classes: From getting to know your machine to how to make a simple quilt block
- Basic quilting musts and vocabulary
- A variety of advanced quilting classes
- How to foundation paper piece
- Free motion quilting
- Block of the month classes
- How to square up blocks and finish a quilt
- Creative quilt borders
- Creative quilt backing (or how to make the back of your quilt “almost” as interesting as the front)
- Specialty seams such as Y-seams, curves, and sewing with small pieces
- Basket making (cloth and reed)
- Jewelry making
- Candle making
- Community service/charity projects (if you have an idea on a community service project, please let us know)
- Coloring/painting on fabric
- Repurposing items from clothes (aprons, jackets, sweat shirts, etc.)
- Crafts of all kinds (wreath making, pillows, flower arrangements, etc.)
- Quick gift ideas
- Card making
This classroom or creative learning center, is an asset to our community and provides us with an amazing opportunity to experience and learn new things or advance your current skill level. We sincerely hope everyone will take advantage of this space. We look forward to working with and meeting all of the creative folks from here and the surrounding areas.
To book the classroom, to register for classes or for more information, please call Deb Ann’s Fabrics at 304 654-4150
In order for you to have time to mark your calendars, we wanted to send out a reminder that the “2018 Spring Into Quilting Retreat” will be held 4 and 5 May, at the Old Campbelltown School (same venue as last year). Class information, material lists and times are being formalized. Brochures will be going out within the next two weeks and we will provide another update as soon as everything has been formalized. Can’t wait to see everyone again soon!
Learn all of the sewing basics like how to start your fabric stash and how to thread a sewing machine. This collection of sewing tutorials is all you need to start learning to sew. Well over a 1,200 videos for learning to sew tutorials showcases our best sewing and quilting videos for beginners to advanced quilters. From learning how to pick out a sewing machine to how to sew a straight stitch, these sewing videos and resources are here to hold your hand, making the intimidating world of a brand new hobby welcoming and warm. With sewing videos and tutorials like these, you will be an expert sewist in no time! PS: There are 100’s of advanced sewing and quilting video’s here as well.
By the way…what is a “sewist”. A sewist is a relatively new term, combining the words “sew” and “artist”, to describe someone who creates sewn works of art, which can include clothing or other items made with sewn elements. So now you have learned something else new today!
Drop into the McCall’s Quilting studio and let’s have fun! FREE Quilt Along video lessons will take you from cutting the fabric to the last binding stitch.
Complete information for each Quilt Along can be found at McCallsQuilting.com/QuiltAlong.